Saturday, November 24, 2012

OpenSUSE - updates

I've been using and extensively testing OpenSUSE 12.2 for over two weeks. It appears quite stable and well polished (However, I had two or three system freezes when starting Chromium browser).

I definitely like the artwork of OpenSUSE - the fact, in example, that when I start GIMP I see OpenSUSE specific starting window seems professional. The artwork is consistent as well as the system itself.


Talking about updates two things are worth mentioning. Updates are not so vast like in, let's say, Ubuntu 12.04 - that is important at spots with limited bandwidth i.e. when I use mobile internet connections. In the production environment this is also the positive feature as vast updates could mean instability. (Look at RedHat policy).

The second thing I definitely like are drpm packages. D stands for 'difference'. You do not have to download tones of megabytes as you download only 'update difference'. That means fast updates. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use English if possible.