Friday, November 16, 2012

OpenSUSE 12.2 - the first review

As I've mentioned before I am testing OpenSUSE 12.2 on my netbook and after about a week I am seriously considering going back to OpenSUSE at least on a few PCs I manage/use.


Pros:
- seems quite stable and polished

- everything in GUI is consistent whatever desktop environment you choose it is looking well and consistent, OpenSUSE artwork is nice and clear, (aesthetics is important!)

- seems quite faster than OpenSUSE (was it SUSE then?) around 10.2 or 10.3, YaST (the configuration centre) and package management is faster, my netbook's performance is similar to my PC's performance a few years ago

- XFCE is in its newest version as I am writing this, namely 4.10, that's a nice piece of software

Cons:

- I cannot find Frogatto in the game repository (I know, not a serious problem.)

- Broadcom wifi does not work on my laptop (you need to get your hands dirty in a console, and OpenSUSE aims to be an easy distro, ok... they are also claiming to be Open... let it be like that)

- Gnome GUI in the Gnome edition is a complete disaster, but not because of OpenSUSE, Gnome3 itself is a disaster, as you see in the screenshot I've installed XFCE

As you see - all in all my opinion is positive, and what is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use English if possible.